Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sweet Honey



The day before my first try on The Gambler I was lucky enough to venture back up to this chunk of ice we spotted in the distance during our first ascent of My Morning Glory. It stood high up in the cliffs and as I walked out I knew I had to come back. I was lucky enough to get Nick Beduhn to join forces with me, he was a little concerned when I told him we were going to check out something new. His expectations were probably a 5-6 hour hike with our packs, but lucky for both of us after an hour of hiking we were chaining up and throwing tools.



This pillar was great to climb and I enjoyed every minute and thanks to Nick For taking photos. It wasnt as tall as I had hoped but it was fun climbing in a new area with awesome geography surrounding us.



It reminded me of Fisher Towers in the desert.







The rock was incredible providing great foot placements as if someone glued the rocks to the walls in just the right spots!

The color and sticky ice made it feel like honey was pouring off the cliff, unfortunately it did not taste like honey and we were showered by it thoroughly as we climbed up.







Seriously an awesome place every where you looked was incredible rock formations



Nick Beduhn enjoying the rewards of very little hiking and a warm day climbing ice on our second first ascent of the day which I dont believe Nick has given a name yet.



Major chockstone good thing you could climb underneath it





ya looks like a solid anchor Nick!



It sucks being last especially when your holding the rope to stay on the rappel anchor for your partner!



I felt like a kid wondering around checking out all of the rock formations and this one was especially cool that it has held up thru time. Its a place that I believe very few people have ventured into and i think this formation is proof of that.



I think half of searching for new ice is finding cool places like this and it seems like lately my adventures have taken me to spectacular places like this!







Sort like walking on Mars. We were psyched to get 2 First Ascents in and be heading back to the car by noon, t was another great day of climbing ice in Cody!

No comments: